The days of ice cold smoothies have passed for another year!
No more shivering whilst you down the icy cold green stuff in order to feel healthy and energised.
But don’t put those smoothie makers in the attic!
Warm, comforting, yet still-healthy smoothies are a real life thing (honest – I even did a whole series on them last year).
This one is creamy and slightly sweet, but with a kick of caffeine, plus some seeds, nuts and oats to get you ready for a busy day.
Waaaay better for you than the two-thick-slices-of-buttered-toast-breakfast I had a couple of times last week – that made me just want to crawl back into bed again to sleep it off.
What a weekend it’s been! I started off Saturday in Manchester at a brilliant blogger PR meeting with Smoking Gun PR – those guys are so much fun. That was swiftly followed with a me racing to my home town of Southport after hearing that my dad was poorly. He’s on the mend now thank goodness, but that 55 mile journey to my home town seemed far too long! It was lovely to spend some time with him and also to eat my mum’s chicken soup 🙂
Back home and logging on this morning, I realised I had absolutely nothing to post!
I usually have a few recipes and photos lined up, but not this time. So what could be better than photographing my breakfast!
…and wow, I had so much more energy than last week after those buttered toast breakfasts!
Have you tried any hot smoothie recipes yet?
I really hope you try this. If you do, please read the warning below first about hot liquids and smoothie makers.
Don’t fill your smoothie maker up with hot liquid. It’s either going to shatter the glass (if you have a glass jug) or it’s going to come wushing out with a tonne of pressure when you open the lid after whizzing things up. Check your smoothie maker or blender can take warm or hot liquids. This recipe calls for a little of the warm milk to be added the other ingredients along with cold water before blending. The rest of the warm milk is added after blending.
Oaty Mocha Hot Smoothie
Comforting, tasty and packed full of nutrients, this HOT smoothie is perfect for those colder months.
Author: Nicky @ Kitchensanctuary.com
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 15g/0.5oz (about 4 small chunks) dark chocolate, chopped (check the brand for gluten free if required)
- 240ml (1 cup) milk (regular or almond milk)
- 1 x 1oz shot of espresso (or 1 tsp instant coffee granules mixed with 2 tbsp water)
- 4 tbsp rolled oats (check the brand for gluten free if required)
- ½ a ripe, medium sized banana
- 10 hazelnuts
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Add the dark chocolate to a jug, pour in the milk and the espresso. Microwave until the mixture is warm and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Place the oats, banana, hazelnuts, chia seeds, maca powder, the water and approx. a fifth of the milk mixture to your smoothie maker or blender. Add in an extra splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm (see warning above about hot liquids and smoothie makers).
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and chia seeds have been completely incorporated.
- Whilst it's blending, further heat the rest of the milk mixture until hot, but not boiling.